“Impeachment is not a constitutional crisis. Impeachment is the cure for a constitutional crisis.”
Written by a trio of veteran constitutional attorneys, THE CONSTITUTION DEMANDS IT: The Case for the Impeachment of Donald Trump argues that — according to the Constitution — the time to talk about impeachment is now, and offers a precise case against the president.
With an argument rooted deep in the Constitution—and with an explanation of the relevant history—Fein, Bonifaz and Clements detail eight legal grounds for impeaching Donald Trump, while elucidating the congressional power to pursue that impeachment.
Among the charges THE CONSTITUTION DEMANDS IT cites are:
- Accepting illegal payments from foreign governments
- Using government agencies to persecute political enemies
- Obstructing justice
- Abusing the pardon power
- Undermining of the freedom of the press
The authors differ from others who insist that this is not the time for impeachment proceedings. Fein, Bonifaz, and Clements lay out the case against Trump in detail, and explain how the Framers provided impeachment as a remedy in the Constitution in anticipation of this situation. They provide a precise roadmap for Congress to use as a handbook.
With a foreword by John Nichols, the national affairs correspondent for The Nation, and endorsements from Need to Impeach founder Tom Steyer, actress and activist Alyssa Milano and more, THE CONSTITUTION DEMANDS IT offers the clearest and most compelling path to impeachment yet.
What People Are Saying
- “We are in the midst of a constitutional crisis. This book lays out the case for impeachment against Donald Trump in stark terms. If you are troubled about Trump’s lawlessness, I think it is your responsibility as a concerned citizen to read this book and to learn how best to protect our democracy.”Tom Steyer, founder of Need to Impeach
- “Finally, a book about impeachment that lays out the facts about what President Donald Trump has done, the legal and constitutional principles he’s violated, and a clear case for why Congress should start impeachment hearings right away. You can read this book in one sitting and you’ll be ready to answer tired arguments for delay and diversion with the facts and the Constitution.”Alyssa Milano, actress and activist
- “Donald J. Trump is probably the most corrupt and inept U.S. president in modern history. He has violated the Constitution and this Nation's laws with impunity. His impeachable offenses are legion and are expertly detailed in this book. It is a must-read for every voter and citizen interested in good government.”James C. Nelson, Montana Supreme Court Justice (ret.)
- “In a time when so much of political discourse has degenerated to tweets and Nazi slogans, it's a relief to see a straightforward, coherent and compelling delineation of the case for impeachment. The only way to return our country to a semblance of normalcy is to impeach the kleptocrat-in-chief, and this book is exactly the guide we need to show us how.”Ayelet Waldman, novelist and former public defender
- “Our democracy is imperiled. Lawlessness, corruption, and cruelty emanate from Washington DC. Many of our fellow Americans and citizens of the world feel helpless as we careen from crisis to crisis. The founding fathers -- though flawed beings who allowed slavery and the mistreatment of women, Native Americans, and those without wealth to flourish — nonetheless provided us with an effective tool to combat the excesses of the current administration. The Constitution Demands It: The Case for The Impeachment of Donald Trump lays out the legal framework for impeachment. There are those who feel that impeachment is too radical a notion. Each day that we fail to push back as powerfully as we are able is a day closer to an authoritarian takeover of our nation. The country you save may be your own.”Eva Paterson, veteran civil rights attorney
- “That we are debating the impeachability of Donald Trump at all is a sign of the towering insanity of our age. We are lucky to have Ron Fein, John Bonifaz, and Ben Clements to show us the undeniable grounds for impeachment — perhaps the only way to demonstrate that we are a nation of ideals, decency, and laws.”Dave Eggers, author of The Monk of Mokha and The Circle